bilingualism check

My note page: (the red circle is what is relevant to this blog post)

"Dike, I mechago?" Ifemelu asked.
Please don't speak Igbo to him," Aunt Uju said. "Two languages will confuse him."
"What are you talking about, Aunty? We spoke two languages growing up."
"This is America. It's different."

Context Note: Ifemelu is the main character, who just immigrated to the US from Nigeria, where they speak the tribal Nigerian language Igbo. Dike is her 6 year old cousin. 

                          - Americanah, Page 134 Excerpt

"This is America. Speak English." Ah yes, this is indeed one of the classic favorite phrases of a racist.

And while I've never had this said to me, I still view this phrase with a bit of a bittersweet feeling. Because the truth is, I do speak English. I speak English and that's about it. 

Well, technically I put that I speak "Conversational Chinese" on my resume (whatever that means) but in all honesty, I'm nowhere near fluent. Yes, I can say some common phrases like hello, goodbye, and thank you, I can even write a paragraph or two in Chinese. But there is a distinct gap in my Chinese ability that just screams American. 

I often still struggle to come up with coherent sentences. Holding a fluid conversation is not the easiest. My sentences are choppy, riddled with grammatical errors. And when I'm trying to talk to someone in Chinese, I often flit between English and Mandarin out of necessity, me waving my hands frantically in the air to demonstrate a word I simply don't know. 

When I'm at a Chinese grocery store or in a Chinese restaurant, and I can't identify a certain vegetable or order a certain dish, this half baked illiteracy can be inconvenient, even amusing. But at other times, it can be downright painful. 

When my grandparents come to visit from Shanghai, I feel the language gap in a different way. Something in the air shifts. Gone are the days of my Chinese illiteracy being something jokingly laughed away or something that instantly disappears the minute I set foot into my comfortable English bubble. There's a certain heaviness baked into every word. Because, when my grandparents talk to me, I often don't understand. Sometimes I just smile and nod when I don't know a word. And when I return home from school and they ask how my day is, I find that I can't explain. My parents - fluent in both Chinese and English - hover over the dinner table, dependable, although perhaps not the most eager, translators. When I go on drives with my grandpa, long silences often hang between us. A silence not of an unwanting to speak, but of a lack of possessing words the other will understand. So the silence hangs. I remember my grandparents giving gifts to me on my birthday, I was unable to express how much their card meant to me, so I just kept on saying thank you thank you thank you. I list these examples, not because communicating with my grandparents is a burden, but because I want to show the importance between language and connection. 

See, for me, a lack of language is not just that. It's a lack of connection to the ones you love. It's a lack of understanding the culture you came from. 

How did this happen? How did I lose this? After all, I am Chinese. So shouldn't I have the God-given ability to speak it?

Yes, and no. In my house, my parents don't speak Chinese to me and my sister too much. It's mostly English, tiny sprinkles of Chinese here and there. This isn't because my parents are ashamed of being Chinese or speaking Chinese, it's simply because, after 20+ years of being in the US it's only natural that they've assimilated, their language included. 

This isn't to say that they didn't try to get me to speak Chinese. My mom pushed me to do Chinese school. But eventually driving 30 minutes one way each Saturday morning became a hassle, so my mom settled on teaching me Chinese at home. Me being the lazy and homework-avoidant kid I was, I wrote "I hate Chinese" on all my workbooks. Unlike Dike, who didn't even know that his Igbo language was withheld from him purposely, I voluntarily chose not to study the Chinese language. I look back and I think that I don't what I was losing. 

Language has always been intertwined deeply with culture. You can't just learn a language without learning the culture. You can't just lose a language without losing part of your culture. That's why such a quick decision to not speak Igbo is so significant for Dike. 

Now, I'm taking Chinese as one of my classes. And yes, this is because it is one of those cop-out classes that's an easy A. But another part, just a tiny part of me, also does it because I know, that every Chinese word I learn, every Chinese essay I write, I am one step closer to bridging that silence between me and my grandparents.

Comments

  1. I found it quite interesting how you have demonstrated the unity of language and culture. It seems we have adapted to a different society. The issues of learning Chinese can be common, but I can say I'm proud of my Chinese customs and traditions. I tried learning the language, went to a Chinese school etc. I would like to do more. It is very true that language is essential with one's heritage. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate, when I went to China to visit my grandparents and other relatives I felt a slight disconnect, like oh I'm American so [insert whatever follows] and their perception of me is already different to begin with. It's more of a culture disconnect I feel like, like I'm not in on whatever, with language I do know enough for basic conversations and such (although it's not great) and I can thank my mom for teaching me at home - half an hour to an hour per day reading the Chinese textbook became a routine and I just went with it until I got busy in high school and then I've never finished the 9th grade textbook yet. I probably have the basics down but none of the particularly advanced stuff because I don't care enough and think it's not useful in real life, but perhaps some day I'll look back and regret not learning more, I don't know. What I do know though is that language brings people together - and unfortunately on the flip side a language disconnect makes people feel farther apart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this was so powerful and well written Allison! I felt that! I recently posted on twitter that language is an underestimated, beautiful gift. I posted that because I truly believe that. I have always loved English. It has always been my favorite subject. Being a writer as well, it only makes sense that English means a lot to me. I use words to communicate even when I'm not speaking aloud! I am a true word nerd at heart, and having the right words to say to comfort someone or show gratitude means the world to me. Language is definitely how people connect - most often through words. I am the president of the Read and Repeat club at Troy High where high school students tutor K-12 ESL students. I see and experience the language barrier there firsthand. I always feel bad when I am trying to give a parent their student's feedback report and I can tell they don't speak much English. They nod and smile a lot, but I know that they don't understand what I'm saying. I always feel guilty for not being able to tell them what they want and desire to hear. I always feel like I fell short. So all the immigrants that feel embarrassed that they don't speak English are sometimes joined even by Americans like me who feel guilty or embarrassed that we only speak English. I have sometimes secretly wished that I grew up somewhere else or had immigrant parents so that I could've grown up bilingual. It would be a lot easier than trying to learn Spanish now. Being bilingual is therefore one of the most beautiful, valuable, and highly regarded gifts because it allows you to connect with more people. It allows you to understand and communicate with other cultures more, which is so valuable! Allison, you taking Chinese is such a sweet sentiment. Language definitely drowns out silence. I am so proud of my small part in helping ESL students bridge the cultural disconnect they may feel and the language barrier they may have. They are some of the brightest students, and I when working with them, I always think of English class and how many racial stereotypes there still are. I understand why assimilation happens and is maybe even necessary for cultural connection, but I still think that as a world, we have to find a way to not let cultures be lost in the process of connecting ones together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg brenna please this comment was just a giant ray of sunshine you're such a lovely person!!!! i really have always been in awe of everything u do, also i would love to join this club?????

      Delete
  4. I really liked this blog post! I can also relate on some level to your writing. After living in Syria for 10 years and then moving here, I can say that over the time that I have been here, I have lost a major part of my ability to communicate in Arabic. I still talk to my parents in Arabic and I still can read and write, but I have definitely gotten worse at it and am getting worse by the day. The truth is, when you come to America at a young age, you become busy. You have your own school work to worry about, so learning another language or brushing up on it does not grant instant gratification (which is why so many of us struggle to learn another language). It does, however, grant long run happiness. The ability to speak the native language someone grew up speaking years later is a true accomplishment. Unfortunately, it is achieved only by those with a strong will power, (something I lack but hope to obtain?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison, I literally got chills at the last sentence. I can totally relate to this post, my grandma has been with me for months now, and I can understand her speaking to me perfectly, but when I attempt to respond, somehow the words come out in a random order that sounds so terrible that my mother often has to hold back a laugh. After some time of this happening, I've eventually stopped trying to respond in my language, Kannada (not Canada). Sometimes, like you, I wish I could speak my native language a lot better but for quite different reasons. When I, hopefully, have kids some day, I want them to be able to connect to their culture. My younger cousin can't even understand my grandma, and I can already see how she is losing her Indian heritage, and I don't want me or my kids to ever lose that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts