why i absolutely hate my alarm

Happiness is a box of chocolates. Happiness is that bottle of perfume. Happiness is that car on the TV screen - you know the one, the one with the glossy exterior and luscious leather seats. According to American mainstream culture, happiness is defined by materialism. A look at the TV and you'll be bombarded with tons of ads that preach long lasting happiness and satisfaction as long as you buy that one thing.


But can objects really be enough? Can money truly buy happiness?
For Ruth in Song of Solomon, the answer is a blatant no. And for me? I feel the exact same way.

Surprisingly, I've found the most happiness in the supposedly mundane interactions of the everyday - the tiny things that can easily slip by, unnoticed and unappreciated.
Especially the older I get, the more I appreciate the little things (oh god that makes me sound like a baby boomer).

But let me explain.

Take mornings for example. I consider myself a morning person. Or I guess a more accurate description would be most-of-the-times-a-morning-person-but-also-in-certain-situations-totally-not-so-I-guess-you-just-have-to-catch-me-on-the-right-kind-of-day-type-of-person?

(Obligatory thank you for reading all those hyphens).

But, there's something about an alarm on a school day that renders me completely incapable of human interaction for the better half of the first hour I'm awake. Or at least until I've had my daily cup of tea (gotta include my blog title somewhere). My alarm is the default Iphone ringtone, and I guess my alarm pain is deeply ingrained because it's gotten so bad that I flinch and physically feel pain when I hear someone's phone go off with that ringtone.


And just when I think mornings have lost all hope....there's a wonderful thing called Saturday. And there's the simple, unrushed morning that's so beautiful. I love waking up without an alarm, going down to the kitchen where it's absolutely quiet (everybody else is still sleeping) and making a good breakfast. Usually I do this by also listening to my favorite playlist and dancing around my kitchen like an idiot. The deep satisfaction I get from being able to eat a breakfast at my own pace, unrushed, mind void of a million things to do at school, now that is hard to match.

Wow this post has turned into a ramble. My point is - happiness is what you make of it. It doesn't have to be the cardboard cutout definition of what they preach on TV. Oftentimes happiness comes in the most unexpected of situations. So embrace the beauty of the everyday, and you'll be surprised as to what happens.

Comments

  1. Great gifs! I can relate to your waking-up experiences, sometimes things just need to "click" for one to feel good. I also agree that happiness often doesn't come from material wealth, sometimes not even from success (and for many people wealth is success? as highschoolers I don't think we experience this just yet but there's no telling what things will be like in just a few years); the right things, however small, just have to happen at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, happiness cannot be measured in currency. It may help in a way or the other, but it usually is temporary. Anything around us could be a source of happiness, like an easy Saturday morning, or watching my fish swimming nervously every morning whenever he sees me. You are right, happiness comes from within and cannot be bought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I can totally connect with this post. Not only do I totally understand what you are talking about when you enjoy the little things but I also know how money can't buy happiness. Especially in Song of Solomon, I was so sad when I saw that Ruth only found happiness when she was a mother to her children but she felt purposeless when her children grew up. Obviously, I cannot connect to Ruth's situation but I love experiencing new events and experiences that truly put my priorities in perspective. I love this post and don't worry, I dance around my kitchen on Saturdays making breakfast too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you put you own spin on an ongoing debate on if money can buy happiness. I also liked how you put examples of you own day to show what you consider happy moments showing that happiness can come in big and small packages. I also like how your visuals capture what I feel when reading your blog as they blend in very nicely to you informal style of writing. With this, your take on life is very developed for a high school kid so glad to see you are ahead of the game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts