in defense of picture books - yes, I went off

I don't know whoever decided that picture books weren't "intellectual" enough, because I would like to give them a call. A long one. In my "can I see your manager voice."

This is my identity now.

But in all seriousness, why are picture and comic books considered "inferior?" For as long as I can remember, our educational system has had a serious aversion to comics, picture books, and almost any type of picture-text combination (besides the wonderful textbook of course). Instead, we read books that are part novel, part dictionary - you know, the type of book that just screams "I'M AN INTELLECTUAL." And don't get me wrong, I love a good bit of intellectualizing and philosophizing myself. But it seems as if nowadays the high brow stuff is the only acceptable option - especially for someone who is privileged enough to have such a good education. Somewhere between the long nights of cram reading textbooks and over analyzing novels emerges the feeling that learning should be hard, or in the very least, not pleasurable.  As if learning and enjoyment were mutually exclusive.

And yet, my love for learning is not based on completing that one assignment that my grade depends on. Instead, it was birthed in the late nights I spent as a child, holed up under the blanket covers, eyes glued to the novel that I was just dying to finish. And let me tell you these were not sophisticated books by any means - these were Geronimo Stilton books, the Warrior cats series: where the plot holes are numerous and there is no such thing as juxtaposition or a hint of high diction. But these are the moments of learning I treasure the most - moments when no one was telling me I had to learn, but I chose to out of my own interest  - even if it's learning about something as ridiculous as a mouse (or should I say Maus now? wow, I am very funny) who owns a mansion. Moments where I am simply able to revel in the pleasure of freely exploring my imagination without judgement.

8 year old me staying up late past midnight to finish a book


I do not see comic books or graphic novels as "primitive" or "childish" compared to the traditional novel. What is primitive is the over simplistic idea that learning is to be confined to one singular definition. So who's to say that reading Geronimo Stilton books is any less valuable than reading The Grapes of Wrath? Who writes about angry grapes for that long anyway (please let it be known that I have indeed not read Grapes of Wrath but I find the title very amusing nonetheless). The "silly" childhood picture books are the very things that laid the groundwork for my learning. They are my foundation. I would not be able to read The Things they Carried without The Cat in the Hat. How can society despise something that only inspires a deeper yearning for further learning and a more meaningful search for intellect?

At the root of my intellectual journey is pictures - they are wrapped up in my identity as a reader and as a writer. So I carry them fondly - veiled in layers of childhood nostalgia and fondness. But most of all, I look at them with a certain respect - these were my first teachers. The ones that taught me to dream without bounds and enjoy learning for what it is. And I will never forget the lessons they taught me.

Before you go, here's a reminder that the cat in the hat live action was honestly kinda wack :)

Comments

  1. Allison I 100% agree with the argument you made! I never thought about it like this before, but you are so right about how picture books inspire future learning! They are a formative building block or stepping stone in making kids grow up to be intellectuals. That being said though, doesn't mean that intellectuals have to forget where they came from and disregard picture books. Those books shaped who they are, so they should always be remembered and thought of fondly instead of cast aside. I also think there is something to be said about your point that often times when reading picture books, kids were choosing to learn instead of being forced to - which is much more effective. So I think just like with anything else, there needs to be balance. Analysis skills are great to have, but we can't take the fun out of learning and forget or lose the skill that is creativity, just because our age has increased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeaa!! The fun in learning is so important. I feel like the way learning is almost forced upon us in school is also unsustainable in a way? I mean when we are adults we'll do whatever we want (whatever we find fun), so why not have learning cultivate a fun environment instead? I feel like that's the way each person can discover where their talents lie and really hone in on that area.

      Delete
  2. YESSS!!!! theres such a stigma today around FUN LEARNING?? why can't learning be fun?? why must we suffer this way just to feel smart!!!!! you truly did pop off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES STIGMA that is the word I was describing but could not express. aafksjfhj it's so weird that smartness means you have to suffer even though it's viewed as a "blessing" almost? Ironic, right? I guess it just goes to show that the "smartness" talked about in schools really isn't a measure of intelligence overall, but just a metric that measures academic performance.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts